Canada-wide Astronomy Buy & Sell
Private vs Commercial Advertising – updated Jan. 8, 2023
"not-for-profit ads" can be placed free of charge,
Manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, or service providers (whether full-time, part-time, or spare-time) cannot advertise for free.
Generally, private free ads meet this criteria:
- Single items (not a quantity of the same item)
- Usually the items are used
- The seller does not profit from the sale of the items
- Must be directly related to the hobby of astronomy
The following types of ads are considered "for profit" therefore cannot be entered for free:
- Multiple quantities of the same item
- Any kind of service
- Refurbishing and re-selling equipment
- Building and selling equipment
- Repeatedly placing ads items with the intent of making a profit
- Repeatedly selling “brand new, never used” items
- Items on consignment with a dealer or retailer
The following are examples of unacceptable free ads:
- Buying quantities of equipment at a close-out sale and re-selling it on AstroBuySell at a profit
- Buying new or used items on eBay and re-selling them on AstroBuySell at a higher price
- Buying a large quantity of some material / item and re-selling it (whether at a profit or loss) on AstroBuySell, such as:
- solar film, solar viewing glasses, red film for monitors, Teflon or Kydex plastic, Ebony Star laminate, etc...
- Offering to modify DSLR cameras or web cams for a fee because you are an electronics expert
- Building or refurbishing equipment in your workshop and selling it on AstroBuySell, including 3D printed parts
- Selling prints of your astro-images
- Your telescope is for sale on consignment at a dealer and your ad refers people to the dealer.
The above guidelines will be enforced because there are legitimate businesses trying to make a living by selling astronomy equipment. These businesses have large overheads (rent, salaries, taxes, advertising, etc) to pay and do not deserve to be undercut by spare-time “dealers” who don’t have any of these expenses. Please support our astronomy retailers and dealers… without them we’d have nowhere to buy our equipment.
How to Become a Sponsor:
If you are interested in commercial advertising, please contact Elsie at sales <at> astrobuysell <dot> com for details and include the name of your business, your business' web page address, and specify whether you are a manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, or service provider. The most common method of advertising is to purchase banner space (large banner on the main page, small banner on subsequent pages). Some customers also choose to place classified ads as well, but there is an additional charge. There is no option to purchase only classified ads (i.e. banner space must be purchased first).